How your cardiologist in West Monroe, LA, can help you stay healthy
If you have ever suffered from chest pain, you know how scary it can be. The good news is, you can do a lot to protect your heart. It all begins with living a heart-healthy lifestyle. Dr. Virginia Gonzalez of Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center in West Monroe, LA, offers a wide range of cardiology services to help you stay healthy.
There are many common heart issues, from high blood pressure and high cholesterol to chest pain and heart disease. Family history plays an important role in these problems. For instance, if your family has a history of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease, there is a good chance you are at a higher risk of developing these problems.
In response, you can help your heart if you:
- Get regular exercise of at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. This should include aerobic exercise like swimming, jogging, walking at a brisk pace, or other exercises that get your heart pumping.
- Manage your stress level by practicing relaxation techniques. Yoga, meditation, and walking are all healthy ways to manage stress.
- Limit fatty foods like fried foods, red meats, and dairy products. Swap out red meat for lean meats like turkey, chicken, or fish. Use non-fat or reduced-fat dairy products.
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruits to help you feel full and reduce your calorie intake.
- Maintain your oral health with regular brushing and flossing. A healthy mouth lowers your risk for some serious medical conditions, including heart disease and endocarditis.
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol under control with the help of medication and visits to your cardiologist.
- Monitor your overall health with regular medical screenings and visits to your doctors.
You should seek out immediate medical attention if you experience:
- A squeezing feeling or pressure in your chest
- Chest pain that radiates into your neck, arms, jaw, or shoulders
- Chest pain that continues or gets worse
- Chest pain accompanied by paleness, sweating, or breathing problems
- Rapid or irregular pulse or heart palpitations
Living a heart-healthy lifestyle along with regular visits to your cardiologist can help you live a long life, enjoying the activities you love. To learn more about protecting your heart, call Dr. Virginia Gonzalez of Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center in West Monroe, Louisiana at (318) 338-3540.