Are you experiencing pains in your chest? If so, it may be time to speak with Dr. Virginia Gonzalez. In our fast-paced world, ignoring sharp aches and pains in your chest may be your first instinct. Still, those pains can cause lasting complications if left unchecked. The Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center serving the West Monroe and Winnsboro LA district can help you get to the bottom of your chest pain and breathe easier.
What Are Some of the Causes of Chest Pain?
Not all chest pains are malignant. Some chest pains could indicate minor concerns such as acid reflux or strained thoracic muscles. What about the more dangerous causes of discomfort? According to the American Heart Association, patients that are experiencing chest pain could have ailments such as these:
- A panic attack, which creates a shock in the body to which the patient has trouble responding.
- Pulmonary embolism. PE is usually caused by blockage due to a blood clot in a lung artery
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease)
- Pericarditis, which is inflammation in the tissues that surround the vascular organ. Sickness, injury, or lifestyle habits usually causes this kind of inflammation.
- Aortic dissection characterized by the tearing of a major artery through injury, surgery, or other means.
- A lung infection such as pneumonia or bronchitis.
- Aortic stenosis, the narrowing of the heart’s aortic valve with cholesterol, scar tissue, or other material.
- Angina, the pain felt in the chest due to a lack of oxygen. A sharp squeezing of the thorax usually causes this pain.
- Heart attack, which signals complications in the muscles of the heart. Symptoms can include chest tightness, light-headedness, and pains in the chest.
For even more information on heart health and alleviating your pains in your chest, contact the Cardiovascular Diagnostic Center in West Monroe and Winnsboro LA, at (318) 338-3540 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Virginia Gonzalez.