What is Cardio-Oncology?
Cardio-Oncology is where the care of heart conditions and cancer patients meet. Our team has developed a highly specialized Cardio-Oncology clinic to meet your every need.
While your cancer has been treated or is in the process of being treated, studies have shown patients can develop cardiac conditions due to chemotheraphy and radiation exposure.
Who We Treat
- Cancer patients prior to or during treatment that may have a negative impact on the heart.
- Cancer patients at risk for heart disease or have heart disease.
- Cancer survivors where heart may have been damaged by cancer therapy.
Cardio-Oncology Program Goals
- Provide early detection of cardiac issues caused by cancer treatment.
- Help patient complete cancer treatments with minimal risks to the heart muscle
- Care for your heart before, during and after cancer treatments.
- Prevent and/or reduce cardiac damage
BEING A CARDIO-ONCOLOGY PATIENT
Conditions treated by the Cardio-Oncology Program
Some cancer therapies, including radiation and chemotherapy, can cause lasting, long-term damage to the heart and the circulation. This may cause cardiac condition conditions such as:
✔ Abnormal heart beat (arrhythmia)
✔ Narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the heart (coronary artery disease) or the legs (peripheral vascular disease)
✔ Damage to the valves of the heart
✔ Deterioration of the heart muscle and its pumping ability (heart failure)
✔ Increase or decrease in the blood pressure beyond normal range (hypertension/hyptension)
✔ Inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart (pericarditis)
If you are currently receiving treatments, our providers will work closely with your oncologist and treatment plan to prevent any cardiac issues.
If you have not currently undergoing treatments, our providers will closely monitor your cardiac care to try and reduce any treatments related issues.
How can you help us?
✜ Attend follow up visits
✜ Exercise 30 minutes per day at least 5 days a week
✜ Maintain a healthy weight
✜ Quit or don't start smoking
✜ Follow a low fat-low cholesterol diet plan